At the beginning of last week when I was planning out all my blogs, I didn’t even know I was going to add this recipe. I had always had some ideas of making a piña colada inspired oatmeal but I ran out of frozen pineapples, and the idea just drifted away. But, last week I made some butternut squash soup and I used half a can of coconut milk and had some leftover. Knowing me, I detest leftovers so I tried to make this oats really work, and to my amazement it was fantastic. Too bad I couldn’t really sit and savour the meal because I was off to a retreat and was running a little late. But next time, which is probably going to be tomorrow, I will definitely savours every spoonful.
- 1 cup of oats
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp coconut essence
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 tsp shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup of mango (either fresh or frozen, the frozen tends to cool down the steamy hot porridge)
I did this over the stove in a pot but if you want to make these as an overnight oats or baked, you can definitely take a look at my staples blog on Oats.
This is super simple as always
- In a pot combine all the ingredients except for the shredded coconut and mango
- Bring the pot to a medium-high and let it simmer for a minute or two.
- Then stir the mixture continuously for about 5-10 minutes till you get a creamy porridge
- Serve the oatmeal hot with some extra coconut sugar and top with the shredded coconut and mango
You can definitely substitute the mango with pineapple and make a piña colada inspired oatmeal. The extra coconut milk adds a milkier, creamier texture to the porridge which is absolutely fantastic but not too runny. I hope this finds its way to your fall breakfast recipes to always remind you that summer will always be around the corner.