So making deserts and baked goods have been a challenge for me, as baking requires measurements and preciseness, two things I do not do when it comes to cooking. But I have been craving banana breads and sweet cakes to finish off my meals, so I embarked on a journey to find a good recipe. With the help of my sister, I landed on something quite delicious. It is fragrant, delicious and has you coming for more. It is also light, low fat, and a great pair with freshly made nut milk or a warm afternoon tea.
- 1 large pink lady apple grated or two small ones
- 1 and 1/2 cups organic all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tsp of allspice (nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or any plant milk)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds, 3 tbsp water
- Optional: walnuts or pecans
- First prepare you flax egg. In a bowl for your wet ingredients, combine 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds to 3 tbsp of water and let it sit
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients: the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, spices and salt.
- After grate you apples in to the bowl, add your coconut oil and and you plant milk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- if the mixture looks very dry add some more nutmilk till you get a thick mixture that still has resistance to it.
- Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper and grease the edges with some coconut milk
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 30-35 min. To check if ready poke a toothpick through the bread and pull out making sure there is no batter on the stick.
- Let it cool then slice up and enjoy