Today’s recipe is a quick an simple recipe. I have a video linked in my youtube channel. It is great for meal preps as you can freeze it for months. It is packed with flavour, super simple and also very healthy.
- 1.5 cups dry of black eyed peas
- 4 cups dry of white rice
- 3 cup of water to soak the beans
- 4 cups of water to cook the beans and rice
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- A pinch of salt
- 1.25 TBSP of baking soda
- Soak the beans in the 3 cups of water over night.
- The next day wash and drain the beans.
- Cook the beans at medium low in a large pot with 4 cups of water,
- Make sure to leave a crack when closing the pot so that the water does not boil over unto the stove.
- After about 15-20 minutes when the beans are tender add the rice and the spices and salt.
- Mix in the rice evenly with the beans
- Add the baking soda and mix it in thoroughly
- After about 5-10 minutes when there is no more visible water, you are going to stir the rice and beans to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Then cover the rice with a paper towel and leave it to cook at low. The paper towel helps to trap moisture and let the rice and beans cook evenly
- every 5-10 minutes, keep an eye on the rice and beans, stir it so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot. As you stir it you will notice that the colour is also changing.
- When the rice is fully cooked, take the pot of the heat and let it cool. It is now ready to eat and serve. You can also freeze it in freezer safe bags for months.