Growing up, egg stew with vegetables was one of the first tomato based sauces I learned to make. I would make this after school and eat with plantains or rice. It was so easy to make and I do miss it sometimes, specifically because of how easy to was to make and accompany with other carbs.
So for today’s recipe, I was inspired by the simplicity of the egg stew to make this tomato based veggie sauce. Although very simple, it is incredibly flavourful and lets not forget very healthy. It is such a simple way to eat your the rainbow with colours from the peppers, carrots, tomatoes and zucchinu. It is incredibly versatile where you can eat it with pasta, which is my personal favourite, or rice or plantains.
The youtube video is available with this link.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 medium zucchini chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a pot at medium heat till the oil is hot (you know the oil is hot when it runs like water when you move it around in the pot)
- Sauté the onions and garlic till soft and add a splash of water if the pot looks dry
- When the onions are soft, add the chopped tomatoes, cover the pot and allow the tomatoes to cook down for 5 minutes. This allows the tomatoes to release all their juices.
- After 5 minutes add the tomato sauce and spices and mix everything around
- Then mix in the vegetables and allow them to cook down at medium heat with the pot covered
- After remove the top and let the sauce cook down for another 2-3 minutes. This allows excess water released from the vegetables to evaporate and thicken the sauce. After it is ready to eat.