Peanut Butter and Jelly was hands down one of my favourite combination for a sandwich. The sweetness of the jelly was always balanced out by the slightly salty peanut butter taste. I know for a fact that I was not the only one who enjoyed this because this combination finds itself in many kids lunch boxes and doubles as a great post night out snack.
Unfortunately many store bought jams are not vegan as they contain gelatin, which is made from pig bones, and are packed with a ton of sugar. But fear not, you can still enjoy this tasty combination that is easier on the wallet and healthier for you. Drawing on the inspiration of peanut butter and jelly, I have put together this creamy berry and almond overnight oats.
Overnight oats is not something I indulge too much of because I love my oats warm but using yoghurt in my overnight oats has really stepped up my overnights oats game. It adds the berry flavour, sweetens the oats and adds a creamy consistency. Topped with more berries and crunchy almonds, you have the additional berry flavour and different textures with the almonds. Overnight oats tend to have one consistency so using the almonds instead of the peanut butter adds crunch to the oats.
This is definitely a great way to start out your day. It is filling, packed with healthy fats and antioxidants.
- 1/2 cup of berry yogurt
- 1 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of oats
- 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup of frozen berries (any kind of berries is good)
- 1 small handful of almonds (roasted almonds are best)
- Optional: 1 tsp maple syrup for added sweetness
- In a bowl, combine the oats, yogurt, water and flax seeds then stir well and keep in the fridge overnight
- The next day, take out the oats, add the toppings and you are good to go.
- You can also warm the oats in the microwave for about 1 minute, if you want something warm.