I have been craving a full breakfast with scrambled tofu and potatoes and beans for a while but instead of potatoes, plantains have sounded like a better option. So I thought to myself, why not make it a Ghanaian full breakfast. Of course being vegan, I am subbing the eggs for tofu and using plantains instead of potatoes. For the beans, I am keeping it simple with spiced black eye peas. I also made this recipe OIL-FREE to keep the fat down, making it definitely a healthier full breakfast you will get at a diner. I hope you like the recipe, and do not forget to let me know how it goes!
Makes 3 servings
- 1 block medium firm tofu
- 1/2 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato cubed
- a large handful of baby spinach
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp of soy sauce (to taste)
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms chopped
- 2 ripe plantains
- 2/3 cup dry black eye beans or 1 can of beans
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- a pinch of salt
- Soak the beans overnight in about 3 cups of water
- The next day, wash the beans and cook in 5 cups of water with the spices
- Cook the beans at medium heat till soft (takes between 40-50 minutes depending on how long the beans were soaked for) but not mushy, you can strain it from the water if you have excess water
- If using an instant pot, soak the beans overnight and then cook on manual for 15 minutes
- If using canned beans, drain the beans and rinse them well. Then in a pot with a small dash of water, warm the beans with the spices for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit (245 degrees celsius)
- Peel and slice the plantains into medallions, wash them, and sprinkle with a dash of salt. After, line a flat baking tray with parchment paper to bake the plantains.
- Bake the plantains till the tops are brown. This should take about 25 minutes or more. Don’t forget to check on the plantains as they bake so they do not burn.
- While the plantains are baking, heat a pan at medium heat with a 1/4 cup of water. Then add your onions and cook them till soft
- After the onions are soft, add the mushroom and cover the pan till the mushrooms are soft. This should take between 3-5 minutes depending on how small you chop your mushrooms
- Then add the spices, soy sauce and crumble in the tofu. Make sure you have previously squeezed out all the water in the tofu with a paper towel. Cook the tofu down for about 2 minutes
- Stir in chopped tomatoes
- After mixing in the tomatoes, add the spinach and let the tofu scramble cook down till the spinach has wilted.
- You can then assemble everything, and eat with a few pieces of toast if you fancy